Film Shrink Tester
- Determines quality of cast and blown films
- Measures unrestrained film shrinkage
The Hanatek FST Film Shrink Tester is used to measure the effect of temperature on plastic films.
The application of heat causes certain plastic films to rapidly contract; this effect can be used to seal and pack many items from food to consumer goods.
The shrink effect is due to internal forces locked into the film during manufacture being released by heating, it is also known as linear thermal shrink or free shrink.
The amount of shrinkage is dependent on the film type, thickness and sealing temperature.
Testing the percentage shrink of a film ensures that it is suitable for a particular packaging application and establishes the correct temperature for that application.
Film Shrinkage Tester Features:
Fast efficient testing
Fast and accurate hotplate control allows a film shrink test to be performed in minutes.
Easy determination of percentage film shrink
The easy to read, back lit scale allows percentage shrink to be easily determined.
- Results equivalent to ASTM D 2732
- LCD with set point and actual temperature reading
- +/- 0.3°C
- Lapse timer with alarm, registers overshoot
- (H) 120 x (W) 300 x (D) 270mm
- 9027 8045 60
- ASTM D2732 Standard Test Method for Unrestrained Linear Thermal Shrinkage of Plastic Film and Sheeting (results are comparable with this standard)
Why is film shrinkage important ?
Film shrinkage is important to industry as blown films are often heat treated to form protective packaging for perishable food or manufactured products.
Blown plastic films contract when heated, this effect is used to seal or protect food or industrial products. In contrast a film that exhibits too much shrinkage may distort a product or form a weak functional barrier.
The Hanatek film shrink tester is used to measure the effect of temperature on blown films.